Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Key Concept Reflection

Key Concept Reflection

I have actually owned ‘A Whole New Mind’ for a year or so and had not taken the time to read it. So I was happy to have external motivation. The concept of ‘Asia, Abundance and Automation’ that Pink discusses is not new to me. I would also say neither were the suggested future role of empathy, meaning, play or symphony. I found Pink’s dialog on ‘design’ most interesting.

I have never felt I was an artist. If I had been in the room when the question was asked about who were the artists, I never would have raised my hand. I have come to realize I do possess creativity but would still not define myself as an artist.

“The wealth of nations and the well-being of individuals now depend on having artists in the room…..everyone, regardless of profession must cultivate an artistic sensibility. We may not all be Dali or Degas. But today we must all be designers.” Pink stated.

When I look around the room as suggested by Pink, I do see that everything is affected by design. It is ‘a combination of utility and significance’ as stated in Heskett’s terms. This passage and the toilet brush story spurred a line of thought about things I use and like because of great design and things I have discarded because of poor design. Back in the day when my children were infants, I applauded the person – now artist – who came up with the concept of Onesie tshirts.

In many respects, design is simply finding the answer to a problem. It is making something more useful. Pink would propose that the ‘democratization’ of design has made designer objects more available to the masses. I would agree but would also question the motivation. At its heart is also a marketing plan to appeal to more of us and create an idea in our head that we want or better yet ‘need’ it.

The ‘New Mind’ author’s point I believe, is that it has become the thing that makes a difference for consumers. The increased wealth of those who have embraced this concept is supportive evidence.

I believe there is design and art for the sake of design and art; simply because it is beautiful to look at and inspires us. Embracing the idea that something utilitarian can also be aesthetically pleasing isn’t a bad thing. It might confuse us over our ‘needs and wants’ because the toaster really just has to make toast. Is this democratization of design targeted towards American because we enjoy a life so beyond the basics of many other world citizens?

Design in combination with function does have a consuming role. Pink’s recounting of the quandary in the 2000 Presidential election gave me an ‘ahhah’ moment. No matter how pretty it is for us masses, it still has to work.

2 comments:

  1. And sometimes I think we still need to get back to the basics. Like you said Carol, it has to work. But I also remember the statement why reinvent the wheel? I say this because people try to change something that is working because of design but they don't necessarily see that the simplest design is an art form in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never thought about a person getting a job designing things. Our worlds at times have been so limited. Now, as I'm older, I see all the things that a person could do. I always hope that children look beyond what is right in front of them and think of different career avenues they could take.

    ReplyDelete